Skip to content

The mysterious disappearance of Travel Jerk

March 2, 2009

I’m disappointed. I was gearing up to write about anonyminity in the blogosphere, carefully weigh up the pros and cons, when suddenly my chosen topic disappears.

traveljerk2

And then, after a bit of research, I discover Travolution’s post about the subject.

A few days ago I came across a new blogger called Travel Jerk, via Twitter.

The blog started with: “Saying things about travel that prolly ain’t true… coz i’m a jerk!”, had no posts, and a poll in the top left of the screen having a pop at Travel Trade Gazette (the publication I work for), as well as rivals Travel Weekly, Travolution and Selling Long Haul.

I was stunned by this. Last Sunday I tweeted: “What the hell is this? http://traveljerk.blogspot.com It’s terrifying! What’s with all this anonyminity? Thanks for following @Traveljerk”

To cut a long story short, Kevin May pretty much solved the disappearance with this post today. Debate: The ethics of anonymous blogging

Thinking about it, I can’t really see the point in anonymous blogging in any form.

And as for the debate if the true identity should be revealed – perhaps not in this case. The blog and Twitter account have been deleted, but I imagine this won’t be the last case of an angry blogger.

Advertisements
9 Comments leave one →
  1. March 2, 2009 11:57 pm

What this whole saga has also shown is that it is actually very difficult to remain anonymous on the web.

It only took us a few minutes to identify TravelJerk.

2. March 3, 2009 12:07 am

Doing the whole anonymity thing immediately suggests you have something to hide. If something is worth saying it’s worth putting your name to. Otherwise it’s likely to be poorly-researched, one-sided and inaccurate. Was Traveljerk supposed to be a nasty version of Travelrants? It would seem that Darren Cronian (not anonymous) has nothing to worry about…

• matthewparsons permalink*
      March 3, 2009 8:31 am

There’s either something to hide – or as the “Joe Blogs” blog intends, to provide a place where different people can have their say. Then I guess it’s fair to hold back the name, but at least state what the blog is there to do.

3. March 3, 2009 8:35 am

Interesting that the first post from TravelJerk was about Thomson (and fatties (their words, not mine))

Thomson are a senior player in the villa rental market

So if, by chance, the TravelJerk site was run by someone in the villa industry…. would not just be fun but could have legal implications too [insert your own legal advice here]

@Kevin – it would be quite easy to remain anon on the web…. but luckily the people who are creating these anon blogs are not really thinking laterally – hence their defences crumble easily

4. matthewparsons permalink*
    March 3, 2009 8:41 am

Alex, good point. But then it could just be a disgruntled travel agent? Or former Thomson employee?

5. March 3, 2009 8:50 am

@Matt
    I am fairly sure I know who TravelJerk is/was, actually. I just hadn’t blogged / tweeted about it!

6. matthewparsons permalink*
    March 3, 2009 10:32 pm

@Alex
    And if he’d criticised Tour CMS?

7. March 3, 2009 10:47 pm

Happy for criticism of TourCMS – as long as its constructive – and in context to the service we provide (which is that it is self service web based software)

Even have a place on our site where we list negative feedback (with no editing!)

And doesn’t take too long searching our forums to find something critical! Shows people care about what we are doing, so criticism isn’t such a bad thing. Any product / service without criticism probably hasn’t crossed the “important enough to care about” threshold.

Trackbacks