Skip to content

The Travel Industry on Twitter

March 30, 2009

travel_twitter_list

Have just finished compiling a list of which travel companies use Twitter – have a look at it by clicking here.

I started a list before, on this very blog, but with the growing popularity of Twitter, and requests from people to have themselves included, it got out of hand. That was back in October last year, when I asked: Why aren’t UK travel companies using Twitter?

And during conversations in the office at Travel Trade Gazette, we thought it would be useful to have something like this, to see who’s doing what etc.

This sexy new spreadhseet is complied using Google Docs. I think it’s sexy (yes, I did just describe a spreadsheet as sexy) because this time anyone can input themselves (you’ll notice the link at the top of the list). And as it’s a Google Doc, it’s browser friendly, easy to view, can be split into different categories, and even exported.

So far, from the travel industry, it’s got:

• Travel Agents
  • Hotels
  • Airlines
  • Tourist Boards
  • Bloggers/Writers
  • PR/Digital Agencies

I’ll be adding a cruise lines section soon – any other sectors I should add please let me know…

As with everything I do with this blog, it’s an experiment. It’s also about collaboration, and from a travel industry perspective, I hope it will prove to be a useful resource.

Any feedback – positive or negative – please leave a comment at the end of this post. And if the list has any broken links, false accounts, or inaccuracies, please let me know and I will do my best to correct them.

The inspiration to try Google Docs came from Canadian “Media Junkie” Gabriel Nijmeh, who has set up a similar list for the music industry.

Advertisements
20 Comments leave one →
  1. March 30, 2009 10:47 pm

Great initiative, Matt. Thanks for the effort. I didn’t notice the Authentic Seacoast Resorts in the Hotels tab. We’re located in Nova Scotia, Canada and have a Grader score of 99.2.

Hope you’ll add us to the list.

Thanks,

Doug @AuthenticCoast

2. March 31, 2009 7:59 am

Spreadhseet is blocked by Websense. What on earth is in it??!? 😦

3. March 31, 2009 9:13 am

Tried to add myself as you suggested Matt but didn’t have permission to access. However, well done on putting this list together!

• matthewparsons permalink*
      March 31, 2009 9:22 am

Andrea, the link in red at the top of the form should take you through to a form with various input fields. I’ve noticed a few people have done it so far, so it should be working. Otherwise I’ll add you later to Travel Agent and Writer categories.

4. March 31, 2009 9:23 am

D’oh! I have worked it out 🙂

5. March 31, 2009 11:35 am

Great work Matt! Really useful.

Will attempt to add our one to the digital agency section.

6. March 31, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi Matt,

This is great. I’d like to suggest adding a Travel Website or maybe Travel Guide category. I’m feeling a little stuck between Travel Agent and Bloggers/Writers. I do both, but neither is completely accurate. I’ve notice some other travel websites are split between the two categories. It’s not a big deal, just thought I’d throw out an idea and see what others think.

7. March 31, 2009 9:23 pm

Great list, Matt. Nice to see so many of our friends included. We would like to add ourselves to the hotel section, but the link you suggested takes us to a travel agent form.

Our twitter page is http://twitter.com/authenticcoast

Thanks!

8. matthewparsons permalink*
    April 1, 2009 11:01 pm

First of all, thanks for all of your comments.

As I’m still getting my head arounf Google Docs, for now the form to add yourself goes directly into the Travel Agents section. But I can move the entry into the relevant sector for now, until I get it fixed…

New sections to be added this week: cruise, travel guides/inspiration and charities involved with the travel industry…

9. June 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Very useful resoure Matthew, have done RT and will stumble now.

10. April 2, 2010 5:35 am

Awesome list, Just what I was looking for currently. Thanks a Ton!

11. November 2, 2010 8:44 pm

Fantastically useful resource Matthew and in handy format too, thanks! How often does it get updated? Hoping to do post on travel cos on twitter very soon and would like to refer and link to it etc assuming there’s a more recent version.
    Cheers, Jools Stone
    P.S: See you at WTM tweetup

12. November 14, 2010 3:54 am

Hi Matthew – this is an amazing resource! Very well done and thank you =)
    I was trying to add us using the form but I’m not sure if it went through (it’s not showing on the spreadsheet)
    We’re bloggers: Inspiring Travellers (Andrea and John Spirov)
    Would love to be included!

Cheers, Andrea

13. December 14, 2010 9:08 am

Hi! We’d love to be included too!
    We’re travel bloggers: Jade, Bob and Rob

14. March 9, 2012 3:11 pm

Great spreadsheet Matthew, thanks for letting us add!

Trackbacks